If you didn’t know, Mark and I purchased a farm house back in February that had required a lot of work. This 1919 home has seen many layers of paint, wallpaper, and flooring as well as some questionable installs.
I’m thinking about writing a story about all the wallpaper.
We are busy doing all sorts of renovations and plans, which you can follow my Instagram to check out our daily camper living post, and more photos of the renovation. One thing I have quickly found out, is Mark is definitely the Chip and I the Joanna in our farm house version of Fixer Upper. We’ve encountered our first load bearing wall…sorry honey, this wall just can’t come out and extreme questionable choices like carpeting under linoleum in the bathroom.
I have quickly found my forte is picking out paint colors and painting, envisioning new cabinet colors, and choosing updated lighting fixtures, where as Mark is more of the, let me hang the drywall and smash plaster type. Oh by the way, the one thing those TV shows never show you is the MESS renovation makes! So much dust! I have paint colors confirmed for the downstairs and upstairs bathrooms. I also have a fairly good idea of what colors I’m going to go with for the living rooms. The one color I picked out for our bedroom was a total fail (thank goodness for paint samples) so I’m back to the drawing board on that one.
Today, I am asking for your help! I am currently in the stage of starting to pick out light fixtures and paint for the kitchen. So I’m going to show you what I’ve got going on for ideas in my head, and then let me hear your thoughts in the comments.
- This would be the simplest update option to what is already in the kitchen currently, and the cheapest. I’m not sure it is the long-term solution, but we have a complete kitchen re-do planned for year 5-6, so this might be the most economical route.
- This is a fancier version of the first one. I kind of like the idea of a slightly upscale fluorescent light if I have to stick with the similar 2 we have in there now.
- I like the slightly rustic feel this fixture has. If we went this route, we would mount 2 of them in the kitchen.
- I really like the idea of this one, but worry about it casting funny shadows, and if there would be enough actual light. It definitely fits into a rustic country themed kitchen though. Again, I think we would need 2 mounted.
- Last but not least, this one has a slightly more modern feel to it, but I think it would mix in well with the other elements of our kitchen. Unlike #4, I think since it has complete glass sides, it would cast light very well.
Next is paint…I’m on the fence between a gray/stone color and more of a warm brown. Our cabinets will be an off-white color from the Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations Kit. I’m leaning towards the quilters white, but might take the plunge with pure white.
We will be getting all of our paint from Diamond Vogel paints. If there has one thing we have learned about paint, is go to an actual paint store not a big box store. It will make a world of difference. I’m leaning towards hearthstone right now as I feel like the fireplace mantel may be too dark for a kitchen, but I like the Smoky Tone too. Decisions are hard people!
Paint color choices
A side note, we will be painting some of the paintable textured, wallpaper on the bulkhead of our cabinets, so we could potentially do a slightly darker color up there as an accent too.
I’m excited to get things moving a long in the next few weeks, and hopefully be out of a camper in Mid-July and moved into a house!